Dhakani dish is a special typical Nepali food recipe for Teej celebrated by Hindu women. It is made from rice fried with ghee then cooked into milk. Very good texture, flavored with aromatic species. Contained with High protein and fat sustains you long time no hunger. Let´s prepare the recipe at your teej Dar day and stay energetic on your fasting, the next day.
Preparation time: 45-55 minutes
Serve for: 6 to 8 Persons
Ingredients for cooking Dhakani Dish
- Rice – 3 cups
- Milk – 2 ltrs.
- Ghee- 200 ml.
- Suger – 200 grams
- Spices _ Dry coconuts (thinly pieced, 2 table spoon), cashew (6-7 pieces), cinnamon(2 sticks), bay leaves(2 leaves), kismis (two table spoon), cardamom (1/2 spoon) etc. ( according to your taste and flavor add few)
Methods for cooking Dhakani Dish
- Heat a heavy bottom pan in medium high temperature. Then, add ghee on the heated pan.
- Pour rice grain into it. Stir gently and occasionally. Let it fry until it turns into golden brown color in all sides. This may take about 15-18 minutes
- Set aside the fried rice. Let it cool
- You can fry the spices ingredients on the same pan. ( Fried spices gives the nice texture look). This may take 1- 2 minutes only.
- Boil milk in a heavy bottom lid utensil. It may be dekchi (tapes), Pressure cooker or you may also cook in rice cooker.
- Pour the fried grain rice into the boiled milk. Stir well, make sure not to have lumps inside it. Let it cook in medium heat temperature.
- After 5-6 minutes, add suger, spices and stir well.
- Lid it and let cook this in low temperature for about 25 minutes. If you are cooking in rice cooker or in dekchi, you need to stir occasionally making the food upside down.
- After cooked, the dhakani rice is separated from milk, aromatic spices saints surrounds you)
- Dhakani is ready! You can serve this with fresh pickles (like cucumber and potato pickles), gravy curry, fried curry or any of your favorite side dish. It goes well alone also.
- You can also read about the as side dish aloo chapate Recipe.
Teej is Nepali Hinu culture identity. Cultural food to preserve is our responsibility. Let´s celebrate this year teej festival with our indigeneous food.
Happy teej all the Hindus Women!