This Eggless Omelet is similar to a variation of gram flour(besan) chila. we can also use buckwheat flour (phaaparko pitho)/ chickpeas flour in place of besan. I use vegetables including bell pepper, spinach, onion tomatoes, green corriander and then add in some light spices. Now you get a healthy and delicious choice for breakfast or light lunch. It is Most of the bollywood celebraties ´s favorite breakfast. It is also vegan and gluten free!
Ingredients for making eggless omelet:
- 3/4 cup besan (gram flour) available in Indian/Nepali grocery stores
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 green chili finely chopped (optional, adjust to your taste)
- Half cup finely chopped seeded tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 1 table spoon chopped green corriander
- 1/2 cup water to make batter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Chopped onion ½ spoon
- 1/3 spoon turmeric powder
Use above vegetables quantity as a guide line. It can be little more or less, also you can change the vegetables according to your choice.
Method to make Eggless Omelet:
- Mix all the dry ingredients together: besan, cumin seeds, black pepper, green coriander and salt. Add the water slowly to make a consistent smooth batter like the pancake batter or Dosa batter. Add the green chilies, tomato, spinach, green coriander/ cilantro bell pepper and all the above mentioned ingredients. Mix them well.
- Heat the skillet/ heavy base pan/ tava on medium heat (prefer to use a non-stick skillet). Skillet should be moderately hot.
- Grease 1 table spoon oil into the hot pan.
- Pour approx. 1/2cup of the batter/paste mixture into the skillet and spread evenly with the back of a spoon/ spatula. Start from the center, spiral the batter outward evenly to form a circle .cover it for few minutes
- When the batter starts to dry, flip the omelet using a flat spatula.
- Press the omelet gently all around by the help of spatula to make the omelet cook evenly. Turn the omelet three or four times until cook well and it looks golden brown on both sides.
- Repeat the same procedures for the remaining omelet.
- Serve this with mint chutney or other curry.
- Enjoy the food with your family and friends.
Tips: You can also add onion and other any 2/3 vegetable items to mix up in the eggless omelet batter.Do try at your home kitchen by following the above guidelines. Please also comment me how it goes for you.