Matar Paneer gravy curry recipe
Matar Paneer is a popular South Asian vegetarian side dish. It enriched with high protein and spices aromas which is great in flavour. It is basically a North Indian curry recipe prepared from paneer cubes and green peas.We can usually serve it with plain rice, jeera rice or choice of roti, parathas or Pulao.
Ingredients for Matar Paneer Gravy (1 cup = 250 ML)
For Onion-Tomato Puree:
- 2tsp oil
- 1onion finely chopped
- 3garlic cloves
- 1spoon grated ginger
- 2 tomatoesfinely chopped
- 1 – 2tbsp oil
- ½tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 1inch cinnamon stick dalchini
- 1 bay leaf / tej patta
- ¾tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- ¼tsp turmeric powder / haldi
- salt to taste
- ¾tsp coriander powder
- ¼tsp cumin powder / jeera powder
- ½ – 1tsp sugar
- ½tsp garam masala powder
- 1cup water add to adjust consistency
- 2tbsp curd / yogurt fresh
- ½cup peas fresh / frozen
- 200-gram homemade paneer
- Few chopped corianders leave
Instructions for cooking Matar Paneer Gravy
Onion-Tomato Paste Recipe:
- In a large kadai/pan, heat oil and add chopped onions, ginger and garlic.
- saute onions till it turns slightly golden brown on medium flame.
- After, add chopped tomatoes and saute till they turn soft.
- Lastly, add few cashews and blend to smooth paste.
Matar Paneer recipe:
- firstly, in the same kadai/pan add oil.
- add jeera, cinnamon and bay leaf on the heat oil.
- add chilli powder and turmeric directly to oil.
- now add the blended onion – tomato paste and fry.
- additionally add coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, sugar and salt then fry.
- furthermore, add 1 cup of water add 2 tbsp of curd and mix.
- further add peas and add paneer cubes.
- cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- finally, add coriander leaves.
- Matar paneer gravy is ready now, serve hot with any of your favorite dish!
- Use more oil if you are not diet conscious and looking for restaurant style taste.
- Blending puree by adding cashews gives nice texture and taste to gravy.
- additionally, you can add green chilli to make spicier.
- Adding cream at the end will enhance the flavour of matar paneer. however, its optional.
- Do not over boil the paneer as they will turn hard.
- If you are jain, you can avoid onion for the paste, though it will also be a great taste.
- For more details: matar paneer recipe | restaurant style matar paneer recipe