Selroti Recipe is a typical traditional homemade Nepali food recipe made from rice flour with adding customized flavour. It is specially prepared in sacred Hindu´s occasions like in Dashain, Tihar, Marriage, Bratabandh etc. It is a ring shaped like doughnut but sweet and crispy. You can eat selroti either alone or with some side dishes like gravy curry and pickles (achar) or tea.
There is no any hard and fast rules about the ingredients other than rice flour, water and suger to make selroti. Normally, before making selroti, a semi liquid rice flour is prepared by adding some aromatic spices like cardemom, cloves, black pepper, cinnamon etc. It is your choice to add butter, massed banana, honey, fenugreek and baking powder as an optional .
Basically, one medium size selroti has 100 calories.
Prepared Time: 1 hour
Serve for: 8- 10 persons
- Rice- 1 kg
- Water – 150ml
- Milk- 1oo ml
- Suger- 50 gm
- Oil- 250 ml (for Frying)
- Cardemom, cloves, black pepper- 5 gm
- Stick (kaptero)
- Frying pan
- Big bowl
- Soak rice 4/5 hours. Drain it and grind it into a moderate fine paste.
- Pour water, milk, spices and sugar. Mix them well by kneading it 10 minutes for softness of selroti. It becomes batter then set it for 30 minutes.
- Put oil in a deep flat base frying pan and heat on medium high temperature. You can check the right temparature by putting a drop of batter into the oil. If it sizzles and comes up the surface , the oil is ready for cooking.
- Pour the batter on a ring shape into the oil by the help of cone or hand. Let it sizzles for one minutes at one side. Make sure if both sides are golden brown. You can use kaptero to turn it down. This may take around two minutes.
- Take out the selroti from oil and put it on a plate with paper towel so it can observe oil.
- You can have selroti alone or with curry or tea.
- Selroti batter is the most important part. So, just follow the above amounts of ingredients. the batter should neither too thick nor thin.
- The temparature should be consistant while cooking selroti. The high temparature may fast burn and become hard before it cooked and low temparature also can not make the good shape of selroti because of softness.
- Try the Selroti Recipe at your home and comment us how was it.